Thursday 14 January 2010

Thursday's Child


I am actually a Wednesday's Child- but today is Thursday, and so there you have it.
Some thoughts for you: The UGG. While out with my good friend Matt, conversation turned toward these somewhat "scene" boots. While I have to admit their sheer comfort- as well as the fact that I do indeed (like the rest of the female population here in mountainous Utah) own a pair- Matt and I decided that they should most definitely be considered "out". Matt's somewhat pessimistic viewpoint was surprisingly heated, and stemmed from the idea that Uggs are lazy, sloppy and slobbish- troop around your house all day, but don't even think of wearing them in public: they are not classy, they are not professional and they just don't look like they ought to coincide with the AGE of most of their owners.
My opinion is not quite as adamant: but I will say that 2005-7 seemed to be the years of the Ugg, and while it is now 2010... well, that should be enough of a hint. Moral of the story: Laundry runs in the Uggs = OK. Class, mall, date in the Uggs = not OK.
Other news:
What I'm reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I was mesmerized by the preface alone, written by Wile himself, wherein he states, amongst other beautifully thought out and composed sentences, "Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope." My lovely roommate likes to get to bed early, and so lately I have found myself reading things by the light of my cell phone, huddled under the covers.
This is not something new to me- I grew up with a flashlight under my pillow. Looking back, I'm sure my mother knew I spent too many hours reading under my heavy quilts when I should have been sleeping- but regardless, I always felt so secretive and independent.
Other things I am reading: 1 Nephi (hello January), Genesis, Kontakte!, Ebbitt and Ebbitt's English Usage, and far too many other grammar books.
What I'm writing: nothing, this week. I know, I know. I'm awful. But next week I will pump out another violent children's book.
Nicest comfort of the week: remade my bed, PROPERLY, so the sheets were tight and cosy. Also cleaned out my desk drawer and chucked out a ton of old stuff, which just feels so nice and cleansing. I see why my Mother likes to do it so often. One time she even threw out all of our birth certificates!
Exciting news ahead: MLK day (so no school on monday!)
Find of the week: Notecards. Completely revolutionized the way I study.

No comments:

Post a Comment