Wednesday 10 March 2010

Multicultural Education

As you will know, dear blogfriends, my very lovely friend Ashley and I have just begun a multicultural education block class. Let me take a moment to praise teachers like Clifford Mayes, who are student friendly and passionate about what they teach. Teachers who have neither of these qualities are in the wrong profession.
This week I learned about Little Rock, AR., which was rather dramatic and appauling. Watching footage and interviews from the actual experience was enlightening in ways that I had never really considered. I am more than aware of racial hardships and discrimination in the world today. I got to thinking- at what point would these people stop and look at themselves and be ashamed? I think it's hard to do so when you believe whole heartedly that your ideas and opinions are genuinely and evidently true.
I am still trying to figure out how my own multicultural though processes developed. In all honest, I cannot think of a single instance wherein I actually became aware of race, and the fact that society considers different races in different ways. Perhaps this is due to good parenting? I just can't seem to get a grasp on it. Perhaps one day I will figure it out. And of course, I'll let you know.
Anyway, go ahead now and wikipedia Little Rock and the Little Rock Nine. You know you want to.
On another educational note, my roommate Karem educated me on calcium this week, which brought back haunting memories of when I was about 8 and happened upon a documentary that made me scared to death of osteoporosis and the fact that I hated milk. I used the past tense there when I should have used the present: I hate milk. Yeulek! Anyway now my fears are being revisited and I just hope you all know that if ever i DID get osteoporosis, I hope you all know that as my avid fans, you will be responsible for the life I have become accustomed to.

1 comment:

  1. Clifford Mayes REALLY is a fantastic teacher! I want to be like him when I grow up...

    ReplyDelete