Wednesday 27 October 2010

A Li'l Emerson for Ya

You'll all love me for providing you with intellectual inspiration. Emerson is, thanks to the passion of my roommate Ashley, and the required reading of my American Lit class, becoming one of my favourite thinkers. I like the following because his approach to learning is so honest and simple- and his description of enlightenment is something that I can relate to. Enjoy his pleasing diction and insightful passion.

"Do but observe the mode of our illumination. When I converse with a profound mind, or if at any time being alone I have good thoughts, I do not at once arrive at satisfactions, as when, being thirsty, I drink water, or go to the fire, being cold: no! but I am at first apprised of my vicinity to a new and excellent region of life. By persisting to read or to think, this region gives further sign of itself, as it were in flashes of light, in sudden discoveries of its profound beauty and repose, as if the clouds that covered it parted at intervals, and showed the approaching traveller the inland mountains. . . . But every insight from this realm of thought is felt as initial, and promises a sequel. I do not make it; I arrive there, and behold what was there already. . . . I clap my hands in infantine joy and amazement, before the first opening to me of this august magnificence, old with the love and homage of innumerable ages, young with the life of life, the sunbright Mecca of the desert. And what a future it opens!"

No comments:

Post a Comment